Verdun is a Bière De Garde created by Jacob Derylo, head brewer at Brewery Vivant. This seasonal farmhouse ale has a cult following at Vivant with its malty, fruity profile and being easily approachable. “We have been making this beer for a few years and it is a fan favorite in the market and in our pub.” comments Derylo. Try your hand brewing this farmhouse favorite recipe at home using Wyeast’s Wild Rustic Spring Collection 3725-PC Biere De Garde.
Jacob Derylo is the head brewer at Brewery Vivant – the world’s first LEED certified microbrewery housed in a refurbished funeral home in the East Hills of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Enjoy it’s rustic farmhouse beers inspired by the small breweries that dot the hills in Southern Belgium & Northern France. Brewery Vivant is home to true beer artisans that experiments with unique yeasts, local ingredients, and keep an artistic eye on their creations that pair well with their locally sourced produce, meats and cheese found on their from-scratch menu.
RECIPE: Verdun Bière de Garde
5 Gallon batch (19 L)
Original gravity: 17.0 °P
Final gravity: 3.0 °P
- 10.68 lbs (4.84 kg) Weyerman Barke Vienna
- 0.89 lbs (0.40 kg) Weyerman Barke Munich
- 0.89 lbs (0.40 kg) Best Malz Red
- 0.89 lbs (0.40 kg) Best Malz Acidulated
- 0.23 oz (6.42 g) Michigan Centennial (8.9% AA) 30 minutes into boil
- 0.19 oz (5.50 g) French Strisselspalt (2.0% AA) 75 minutes into boil
- Wyeast 3725-PC Bière de Garde
- Mash temperature: 150 °F (65.5 °C)
- Mash time: 45 minutes
- Fermentation temperature: 72 °F (22.2 °C)
- Fermentation time: 14 days
- Conditioning time: 14 days
More Recipes to Come
All season we’ll be introducing homebrew recipes that come directly from brewers who partner with us at Wyeast. Each recipe is specifically crafted by a pro for our Wild Rustic Spring limited release. These strains are only available for homebrewing now through June 2019.