1217-PC West Coast IPA | Northwest Fruited IPA
Private Collection Recipe
2022 Q2 Longer Days
Between mastering propagation and QC analysis at Wyeast, Kevin Hart shares his own version of a Fruited IPA using 1217-PC West Coast IPA from the latest Spring ’22 Private Collection release.
“I was first introduced to home brewing by my parents. That was part of the reason why I decided to change my major at Oregon State University to Food Science and Technology, specializing in fermentation sciences. I never looked back, and today I use my degree for yeast propagation at Wyeast as well as home brewing.” -Kevin Hart, Wyeast QC/Production Lab Technician
NORTHWEST FRUITED IPA:
Batch size: 5 gallon (19 L)
Original gravity: 1.060
Final gravity: 1.018
- 5.0 lbs (2.28 kg) Pale Malt
- 1.5 lbs (0.68 kg) Pilsner Malt
- 50 oz (1.41 kg) Extra Light DME
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Centennial
- 0.25 oz (7 g) Lemon Drop
Add within 60 minutes remaining in boil stage.
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Galaxy
- 2.0 oz (57 g) El Dorado
End of boil addition.
* Measurements are for pellets.
- 1217-PC West Coast IPA Activator™
- Add 0.25 to 0.85 lbs (0.11-0.38 kg) of desired citrus juice post primary fermentation for minimal influence on final ABV.
- Mash for 65 minutes at 165 °F (74 °C). Start at 175-180 °F (80-82 °C) before adding malt anticipating temperature drop. Sparge up to 6 total gallons (22.7 liters).
- Boil for 90 minutes, follow hop addition instructions.
- Cool aerated wort to less than 75 °F (24 °C) and direct pitch yeast.