1217-PC West Coast IPA | Resilience IPA
Brewers across the country are coming to the aid of the California wildfire effort by brewing and selling their version of Resilience IPA with all proceeds being donated to the Sierra Nevada Camp Fire Relief Fund. The Resilience IPA recipe was created by Sierra Nevada in an effort to support and rebuild their Butte County community. Participate in the solidarity by brewing your own version of Resilience IPA – we recommend 1217-PC West Coast IPA as the perfect strain!
RECIPE: Resilience IPA
This recipe was provided by Sierra Nevada Brewing Company and scaled down from the original by Chip Walton of Chop and Brew.
5 gallon batch
Original gravity: 1.065 (16° P)
Final gravity: 1.016 (3.9° P)
- 11 lb. (4.99 kg) Rahr 2-Row (90%)
- 1.25 lb. (0.57 kg) Crisp Crystal 60L (10%)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Centennial hops @ 80 min (33 IBU)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Cascade hops @ 15 min (8.5 IBU)
- 1.0 oz. (28 g) Centennial hops @ 15 min (15.5 IBU)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade hops @ Whirlpool (2.6 IBU)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial hops @ Whirlpool (4.7 IBU)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Cascade hops @ dry hop (0 IBU)
- 0.5 oz. (14 g) Centennial hops @ dry hop (0 IBU)
- Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA
- Mash grains at 152°F (66.7°C) for 60 minutes.
- If including a mash out step, raise temperature to 168°F (75.6°C) and hold for ten minutes.
- Sparge with 168°F (75.6°C) water to collect 6.53 gallons (24.7 liters) of wort.
- Bring to a boil and add hops as indicated.
- At flameout, stir wort to cool slightly and add whirlpool hops.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before chilling the rest of the way to pitch temperature.
- Pitch yeast.
- Ferment at 60–62°F (15.6–16.7°C).
- Add dry hops towards the end of active fermentation, when specific gravity is around 1.020–1.024 (5.1–6.1°P).
- Let rest for four days or until fermentation is complete.
- Cold crash to drop hops out of suspension.
- Rack to secondary or keg.
Substitute 8 lb. (3.63 kg) pale liquid malt extract or 7.5 lb. (3.40 kg) pale dry malt extract for 2-row malt. Steep crystal malt in brew pot for 20 minutes at 167°F (75°C).
After steeping, remove specialty grains and bring water to a boil. Note: when adding malt extract, it is recommended to turn off or remove heat so as not to scorch the extract on the bottom of the pot.