2000-PC Budvar Lager | Fall Recipe Pairing: Brown Rice & Farro Risotto
This recipe comes from Cooking and Beer.
Fall is here in full swing and our Hearth Private Collection strains can pair perfectly with your favorite fall dishes.
Our 2000-PC Budvar Lager creates a nice malty nose with subtle fruit tones and a rich malt profile on the palate. It finishes malty but dry, well balanced, and crisp. Pair your own homebrewed lager using this strain with a creamy, fall flavored brown rice & farro risotto by Cooking and Beer to complement the grain flavor while remaining lighter on your palate.
– 1 cup brown rice & 1 cup farro
– 4-5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
– 2 large apples (Fuji preferred, sliced into 1/2-inch wedges)
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– salt and black pepper
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
– 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder & onion powder
– 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 4 strips of fully-cooked crispy bacon, chopped
– 1 radicchio chopped
– 1 small endive leaves separated
– 2 tablespoons parsley leaves
1. To a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the brown rice and farro. Cover with 4 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for about 40-45 minutes or until the liquid has mostly cooked out and the grains are tender. If you find that the grains are not quite tender and the liquid has already cooked out, add more broth and continue to simmer until they are tender.
2. While the rice and farro are cooking, prepare your roasted apples. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with olive oil and a dash of salt and black pepper. Pour the apples onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven. Roast the apples for about 15-20 minutes or until the apples are tender and golden. Remove from heat.
3. When the brown rice and farro are tender, reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, a dash of salt and black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer once again and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Serve the brown rice and farro risotto by piling roasted apples, radicchio, bacon, endive, and parsley leaves on top. Sprinkle with additional black pepper and enjoy.